On November 5th 2019, this year’s seniors had the opportunity to visit the UN in Vienna. Accompanied by our English teachers Ms. Gassner, Ms. Hossein-Pour, Ms. Şeker and the guide of our interactive tour, we learned some interesting facts about certain rooms belonging to the building, e.g. the many conference rooms, but more importantly about the UN and its work. We enjoyed the trip very much as it was very informative and included very significant topics of today’s world. The main topic was that the member countries’ leaders are currently working towards reaching 17 ambitious and sustainable goals by the year 2030.
These goals are:
- No poverty: Approximately 736 million people around the world still live in extreme poverty. Many lack the most basic human needs, i.e. food, clean drinking water and sanitation.
DONATE WHAT YOU DO NOT USE.
- Zero hunger: The world needs to end hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture.
AVOID THROWING AWAY FOOD.
- Good health and well-being: Make healthy food, drinkable water and healthcare available to all the people on this planet.
VACCINATE YOUR KIDS TO PROTECT THEM AND IMPROVE PUBLIC HEALTH.
- Quality education: Everyone has the right to gain knowledge and to be informed.
HELP CHILDREN IN YOUR COMMUNITY TO READ.
- Gender equality: Every one of us can contribute to achieving gender equality.
DO NOT SUPPORT BEHAVIOR THAT DISCRIMINATES INDIVIDUALS BASED ON THEIR GENDER.
- Clean water and sanitation: Due to shortages of fresh water in several developing countries caused by bad economics or poor infrastructure, there needs to be universal access to drinking water. Clean, accessible water for all is an essential part of the world we want to live in.
AVOID WASTING WATER.
- Affordable and clean energy: It is necessary to make affordable and clean energy available to every human being on Earth.
USE ONLY ENERGY-EFFICIENT APPLIANCES AND LIGHT BULBS.
- Decent work and economic growth: It is important to create conditions that allow people to have quality jobs that stimulate the economy while not harming the environment.
BUY FROM GREEN COMPANIES THAT ARE EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYERS.
- Industry, innovation and infrastructure: Use your access to information and communication wisely as billions of people do not have such opportunities.
THINK OF INNOVATIVE WAYS OF REPURPOSING OLD MATERIAL.
- Reduced inequalities: Policies should be universal in principle, paying attention to the needs of disadvantaged populations. Also, there needs to be an increase in duty-free treatment and continuation of favoring exports from developing countries.
RAISE YOUR VOICE AGAINST DISCRIMINATION.
- Sustainable cities and communities: In order to develop sustainability, monitor your environmental and economic impacts, e.g. your carbon footprint.
BIKE, WALK OR USE PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION TO KEEP OUR CITIES’ AIR CLEAN.
- Responsible consumption and production: The change to sustainable consumption and production of goods and services is necessary to reduce the negative impact on the climate, the environment and people’s health.
RECYCLE PAPER, PLASTIC, GLASS AND ALUMINUM.
- Climate action: Climate change is a global problem that affects everyone, everywhere. Avoid using your car for short distances. Instead, try to use your bike or walk.
EDUCATE YOUNG PEOPLE ON CLIMATE CHANGE.
- Life below water: Weather, climate and much of our food are all provided and regulated by the sea. Careful management of this main global resource is a key feature of a sustainable future. The goal here is to conserve, save and sustainably use the world‘s oceans, seas and marine resources.
AVOID SINGLE-USE PLASTICS TO KEEP THE OCEANS SAFE AND CLEAN.
- Life on land: Deforestation and land degradation are huge problems as they damage the Earth. We have to value nature, protect our ecosystem and put an end to said problems.
PLANT A TREE TO HELP PROTECT THE ENVIRONMENT.
- Peace, justice and strong institutions: Living a peaceful and fair life should be a basic right and we, as a society, should take appropriate measures to achieve this.
USE YOUR RIGHT TO VOTE.
- Partnerships for the goals: The United Nations collaborates with creative agencies, the entertainment industry, media organizations and businesses who are committed to achieving the sustainable development goals.
CONTRIBUTE AS AN INDIVIDUAL TO ACCOMPLISHING THE CHANGES NEEDED TO IMPROVE PEOPLE’S LIVES.
Jasmina and 8B for all seniors